Sponsors

History


The Sportsfield/Austin Stack Park - A Little Bit of History 
 
Generally known as the Sportfield it was first owned by the County Kerry Amateur Athletic and Cricket Club
In 1887 the third and in 1891 the seventh GAA Annual Athletics Championships were held in the Sportsfield
In 1903 the trustees rented the Sportsfield to a committee consisting of all GAA members and among them Austin Stack
At that time the pitch was oval shaped and surrounded by a 440 yards sloping cinder track considered to be the finest in Ireland
In the 1927 All Ireland Semi Final Kerry (1-7) v Cavan (2-3) played in the Sportsfield, carrier pigeons were used to release news of the game
The County GAA Board purchased the grounds in 1929 spending about £5,000 on the purchase and improvements and the necessary finance raised included £500 raised on a Kerry team trip to the USA in 1931
The original Trustees of the Austin Stack Park were John Joe Sheehy, Sean McCarthy, Paddy Paul Fitzgerald, and Co. Board Joint Treasures Con Clifford and John Moran
In 1932 the Sportsfield was officially named the Austin Stack Memorial Park
In 1934 the pitch was converted into a rectangular pitch to host the 1934 All Ireland Semi Final against Dublin. This led to the demise of the famous cinder track. A new stand was built and new embankments were added and 21,438 attended the game which Dublin won. This was the largest crowd to have attended an All Ireland Semi Final by that time
In 1943/4 £3,576 was spent on improvements and a boundary wall was erected. An archway was constructed to honour Kerry’s victorious All Ireland winners
In 1967 the Pavilion was opened and County Board meetings were held there
In 1972 Part of the grounds were sold to Kerry County Council to facilitate a new road in the town now called the John Joe Sheehy Road
In 1983 and 1985, in association with the Festival of Kerry, the James Last Orchestra played concerts in the Austin Stack Park
In 1985 Kerry County Board opened its Office in the Pavilion
In 1994 a new development was completed including a new stand and terracing and redeveloped County Board offices. The opening was performed by Jack Boothman GAA President
In 2001 Floodlighting was installed and the Interprovincial game Munster v Leinster played in Austin Stack Park was the first Central Council competition played under lights.
In 2015/16 further improvements including a sand based pitch, extra terracing and additional floodlighting were installed in Austin Stack Park.

Click here for some photos down through the years.
 
We hope to add to this gallery and if you have any old photos from game in Austin Stack Park we would love to see the

Sponsors

Calendar of Events